I wanted to put together a top 10 list of habits or actions that make you become a successful artist. And get and bunch of opinions from different artists. Thoughts? What would be your list?
Ooooh!!!!! This is a great idea.
1. Log off, or even unplug the Internet.
2. Turn off the cell phone for a few crucial hours when you are in the studio, and are in the groove that you don't want to be interrupted from.
3. Get up before 9am and get cracking right after breakfast.
4. Attend art events to gather inspiration and camaraderie in the community.
5. Get a website. A good place to get an affordable website that you can create yourself is at www.otherpeoplespixels.com
6. Make sure you have other people critique your work other than your mom! (you know how they love everything you do!)
7. Make business cards, and carry some at all times. You never know who you are going to run into, and where. I don't care how rinky dink, just do it. (and then work on getting nicer ones in the meantime!)
8. Learn some new technologies, or media. Don't rest on one technique.
9. Enter your work in exhibitions. Keep showing work. That is important for future credentials.
10. Charge for the time you have invested. If the client reels back, at least you know you are not undercharging your work. You can always negotiate later.
11. Bonus advice. AND FINALLY! Follow your heart, and make work that you are excited about. Don't be swayed, or feel compelled to copy trends. You never know, you just might find yourself at the fore front of one!
Erin Goedtel | www.eringoedtel.com